Thursday, June 28, 2007

On the Train To Cardiff, Finally.

[I wrote this on Tuesday. While in Cardiff, the hotel didn't have Internet access, so the only net connection I had was my breakfast at Starbucks. Because of how much it sucks over here that Starbucks won't open until 8am and then closes at 7pm (the same hours as the conference), I spent my precious few minutes of net access doing work. I'm now home and can sit down and post this, which I wrote three days ago.]

Yesterday, the rain came down in buckets. In 24 hours South Yorkshire received as much rain as they normally do in all of June, about 50mm (2") in most places and 75mm (3") in some. The train I was on made it half way to Derby, a small city about a one hour drive south of Sheffield, and then had to reverse due to flooding on the track. It's spelled D-e-r-b-y, but it's pronounced "Darby". At least the way my ears hear it.

I spent most of the rest of the day trying to figure out how to get to Cardiff. The train station provided buss es to Derby where you could make your way south from there, but they strongly advised you to simply not travel if you didn't have to. I spent part of the afternoon standing in the rain with an umbrella that was beginning to lose its battle with the wind and a water resistant coat that had resisted as much as it possibly could. I was asking around, trying to figure out if there was a bus headed to Derby soon and what my chances were from there. No, and not good.

By early afternoon, routes north and east were also cancelled due to flooding. At that point, the only place you could get to from Sheffield was Manchester, but you apparently couldn't get south from there either. By evening the train station was evacuated and closed when the river burst its banks and flooded the station (I was back at the apartment by then). It is expected to stay closed until later this afternoon.

So I decided to spend the night in Sheffield, wake up early and drive to Derby, which was as far north as any trains were going. I awoke at about 3:30 (morning twilight) and was out the door at about 4:15 (just before sunrise, this is still weird to me). Even getting to the train station was a bit of an adventure. I had to divert around some flooded roads in Chesterfield, and ram my car across a flooded interchange when I got to Derby. Scared that despite the highway cone in the puddle to judge by, it was deeper than it looked and I would get stuck. First gear and I was across, barely. It was stupid to try, and I should have found a way around. Little 100Hp cars and big puddles don't go together. My Focus hatchback is not my Murano, that's for sure.

I got to the station about 5:30 and found a train that was headed straight to Cardiff at 6:35. I went over to the Best Western across the street, had a cup of coffee, and then got on the train. Since Derby was the starting point for the train, I got my pick of seats and I have a nice single seat with a small table.

Today the sky is crystal blue with only a few clouds on the horizon and the train is speeding across the English country side. It's fast and comfortable. Much better than driving the distance. I should get to Cardiff in time for presentations.

No comments: