Monday, July 30, 2007

+5 Informative?!

I rarely comment on Slashdot, because for the most part it's a waste of time and my non-IT brain doesn't communicate well with the mostly IT crowd. However, every now and then I feel I have some wisdom to impart. Usually the Slash-herd disagrees, and I get modded to about 2. Today, I just saw that a comment I posted on Sunday made it to +5 Informative! Woot, it is like my happiest Slashdot moment until I realized ... I wasn't even on topic anymore. The topic was about schools asking parents to shell out for MS Office, and my post was a reply to a person about fitting data in Excel. And I got +5? Slashdot really is broken these days.

Either way, here is my highly informative comment. For those not in the know, +5 is the most you can get your comment elevated to. Comments are ranked from -1 (really bad, probably intentionally trying to offend someone or pick a fight) to +5 (worth reading by everyone reading comments).

Nothing is really going on these days. The rain really and truly stopped for a few days! Last night the sky was cloudless. Actually cloudless. I stood on the balcony for about half an hour and just looked at the stars and moon. The moon was full, and it caught me by surprise. I think I was surprised because I normally have some inkling of the phase because I see the moon every now and again. I hadn't see it in so long, I'd lost track. Today was sunny and warm (mid to upper 60's). Everyone said this is what an English summer is supposed to be like. I hope this sticks because it's fantastic.

I am planning on going climbing tomorrow evening, which I'm looking forward to.

Amanda is home again which is great. The kids and I really missed her. I'm glad she got the chance to go home and see her family.

Wednesday the family is off to London to meet my parents. I head back to the US on the 8th returning on the 11th. Then the family goes on our Irish vacation for a week.

No comments: