Saturday, April 14, 2007

Beautiful Saturday


Today looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. Tomorrow promises great weather also. Today the plan is to go to the Chatsworth House. Depending on situations, I may get some climbing in at the Peaks also. Very much looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

Wednesday night was clear and cool. I took a photo from the balcony of our apartment looking to the South and East across Sheffield. The shot is pushed about 1 stop, it was actually much darker than it looks in the photo, but I like the look of the deep blue sky in this picture. The full 10MP image is really pretty. Maybe I'll get a flickr account and put it up there.

This morning I went out to Tescos (small market) and picked up some hot cross buns and blueberry muffins for breakfast. I was the only one who liked the hot cross buns. I guess currants are a taste to get used to?

I find myself bouncing back and forth between tea and coffee. I've gotten used to instant coffee since it's what is commonly available. I do have a coffee press in the apartment (its what I'm drinking right now), but it is a pain to clean so I rarely brew it in the morning. While coffee makers exist, tea kettles are of course far more common.

What is really cool is how fast resistive heating stuff gets hot. The iron is ready in less than a minute. Eight cups of water boils in just a few minutes (fast rolling boil, not slight simmer) in the tea kettle. 220V rocks! I propose that the US needs to switch. 110 is for sissys.

The kids have started to settle in lately, which is nice since their constant excitement was starting to get unnerving. Its not just that they were excited, its that they didn't have constructive outlets for their excitement, so they would just end up yelling and running around our tiny apartment. This ultimately ended up in someone falling down and then crying, or simply bickering at each other. I suppose when we move, this will start all over for a week or so.

Speaking of moving, we found a great four bedroom flat near the school that the kids will go to. It is two stories with a balcony on each floor. There is a community garden right next to it. I doubt any plots are still available, but if they are I think it would be fun to let one and plant some veg for the summer. Its also out on the west end of town, so easy access to the Peaks!

The sun is now getting high in the morning sky, so I'm off to enjoy the day.

No comments: