Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jane is the greatest woman in the world.

I have a new best friend. Her name is Jane. She doesn't have a face, but her voice is sent straight from God, or in this case, an actress via a computer chip manufactured in China. Jane is the voice in my new SatNav system. I don't know how the natives do it. They have extra genes for navigating around here or something. I need my SatNav. I need Jane. For example, here is the route (acording to Google Maps) from our apartment to work. Oh sure, it looks easy from 10,000 feet up. But on the road, its confusing as hell. Its not natural for five roads to converge on a single location. So now I'm cruising the causways of Sheffield in my Vauxhall Zafira with Jane in my ear saying sweet nothings like, "At the next roundabout in 300 yards, take the third exit."

Today was also my first day of work. Most of the day was spent in a meeting with some guys from Manchester, NH who I already know quite well since my lab in St. Louis works as a beta tester for their equipment. So, it was just like being home. Except more English accents.

No comments: